There are two types of training currently being offered by the Department; (I). Unity in Diversity – bridging gaps in communities (ii) Diversity and inclusion Education Training and the second type of training is Conflict Management and Resolution. This is the commencement of the first level of training for stakeholders. Our first set of stakeholders were drawn from organized groups such as the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils Municipalities and Regional Democratic Councils across the ten administrative regions. These trainings have been continuous as we have expanded to special interest groups, such as, women’s group, Youth groups, Trade Unions(Guyana Public Service Union), Statutory Commission such as the Ethnic Relations Commission. The training component aspect of the Social Cohesion Programme will continue as an integral aspect of our developmental process. As we progress and grow there has been requests for Specialized aspects of training (Conflict Management, and negotiation skills), which are undertaken as per request for same.
Overall purpose of the Training:
- To allow participants to explore the negative internalized attitudes, beliefs and stereotypes that impact the ways in which they perceive themselves and others (Self understanding) and more importantly to make them become aware of how personal biases negatively impact social interactions.
- To help participants to learn about the changes and challenges that are associated with our diverse population.
- To encourage respect for other cultures, by breaking down stereotypes, and advocate for good relations throughout of society.
- To Provide skills that promote healthy interactions even in the face of ethnic, cultural and other differences.
- To promote understanding of how an appreciation for diversity can contribute to stronger societies.
- Foster a cohesive environment in which diverse peoples engage in healthy social and professional interactions in spite of their differences; a deeper look at communication and leadership.
The targeted number of persons for each training session is 35-40.
NEXT STEPS after the Training
Emanating out of every training participants as placed into working group to plan a community based on an understanding of the content delivered. These projects as financed partially by the department and supervised by the Regional Social Cohesion Officers.